Sunday, August 24, 2008

not every meal is worth mentioning...but i will anyway

I'm by myself this weekend and therefore putting less effort into meal planning. It's less satisfying to cook when you are the only one around to compliment the results. This morning's breakfast was therefore a random assortment of things I had in the fridge: potatoes I started chopping up maybe a week ago before we decided to go out to brunch at Z cafe instead (fabulous restaurant hidden in between car dealerships right near our house). I stuck them in a bowl of water in the refrigerator and was surprised that they survived the week looking nonetheworse for wear. Threw in some jalepenos, garlic, and onions and then fried up some of my current obsession: okra. The guys I like to buy okra from at the market weren't there this week, so I'm finishing up last week's supply. I decided to try rolling them in the flour/spice batter without dipping in buttermilk, which has been my preferred method of late for frying, because I figured they're sticky little buggers on their own so why is this liquid dipping necessary? The flour stuck really well onto the okra but once they hit the oil in the pan most of it came off, so I think that's the reasoning for the liquid dip. Live and learn. In an attempt to cut the greasiness of my meal, I sliced up one of the more visually appealing tomatoes Sele and I selected yesterday. And then because I noticed my fingernails matched the tomato so nicely I had to take pictures and play with the limited effects of picasa on my computer.
I'm sharing my breakfast routine with you not because I think it's that interesting, but because I've been looking at a lot of cooking blogs lately while trying to learn about blogging - and their snobby photos make it look like every meal they prepare is perfect and stunningly beautiful. And I want you to know that I fry up random stuff from the back of the fridge and pretend it goes together as a meal. And I'm ok with that.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

The Lovely Ladies of Laurel said...

First of all I think that you are my only friend who knows what okra is, seeks it out at the market, and fries it up for breakfast. Next you are going to grew it in your garden like my dad. The plant gets really really tall and makes one of the prettiest flowers I have ever seen.

Secondly, are those your red hot mama nails? OMG :)