Friday, August 29, 2008

jobs and stories

my good friend harold sent me this ecard - which made me laugh out loud (i will not say lol on principle). it's so perfect. absolutely true that obsessively posting about my cooking and crafting endeavors on this blog justifies me not having a job (and not leaving the house).
in other job-related news, i got my first call-back and interview this week. for a job i would actually love to do - being a facilitator at the new san francisco storycorps booth. if you haven't yet heard of storycorps you should absolutely check them out and listen to a few stories on their website, i'll suggest a few to start with at the end of this post.
the idea is that regular people come into one of the storycorps booths - or the traveling airstream trailer, even classier - with a friend or family member and you get to interview each other. one copy of the interview you get to take home with you and one copy is stored at the american folklife center at the library of congress. usually people end up asking things they've always wanted to hear about but never found the time to ask, so you get to hear all kinds of life stories and lessons and challenges from ordinary people's lives. it's an incredible program. i subscribe to the podcast so each week's story downloads automatically to my itunes, but it also plays on npr's morning edition.
if you're going to start listening, let me suggest a few of my favorites, each story is only 3-5 mins long:
be prepared to cry, if you're so inclined.
wish me luck on the interview, it's next tuesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Kashews!

aryn said...

i am just so excited about this. but what will happen to you blog when you are employed? i really wish someone would just fund your ventures in domesticity. maybe you should form a cult of domesticity? a rebirth, if you will? good luck, good luck.