Friday, August 22, 2008

new crafting tool: bernette 82e


my obsession has turned from cooking to crafting this past week with the acquisition of my new pride and joy: the bernette 82e. the fantastic ladies at sew images in oakland paired me with this machine when i told them i am faithful to the bernina brand but am not on a bernina budget at the moment. apparently the bernette is made for bernina but "not in switzerland." i'm not exactly sure what that means - probably that it's made by children in china - but i couldn't find evidence of that so i chose to not think about that and focus on its pretty purple color instead.
it turns out i didn't have any fabric when i got the machine home, so my first project was a pillow cover for my prematurely old-lady-back chair pillow made from scraps i had leftover. i didn't even have enough material to finish the green border, so marty problem solved with me to cut out the corners and use them to finish the border while replacing them with yellow squares. i think it turned out quite well and mom says the yellow corners bring it all together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi- my husband found your blog when he was trying to find out if the Bernette was a dud or not. I need a new machine as I managed to kill my Janome by trying to clean it! That's the last time I try that...

Sounds like the purple colour has got you hooked on the Bernette. Good luck.