Friday, August 22, 2008

ok i'm owning it.


I've now been unemployed for almost three months. I've been spending my time between travel at home nesting: cooking, rearranging furniture and crafting. And applying for jobs, of course.
The truth is that although I came up in the feminist tradition of rejecting all things domestic (thanks betty friedan, gloria steinem) I actually love that shit. Knitting, crocheting, sewing, cooking, baking, frying especially - you name it - with the exception of vacuuming. Hate that.
So yesterday I was talking with my good friend, Laura, about my secret domestic tendencies and how what I really want is to find some rich person who will pay me to explore my crafting and cooking ideas. Barring that, scheming Laura suggested I start a blog. I said that I've thought about it because I love reading cooking/crafting blogs, but basically, "isn't that a little geeky?" To which Laura replied, "Well, Kasha, you might be a little geeky yourself." So there it is, I'm owning my love for domesticity and coming out as a my geeky crafting self.
If I'm not working, I might as well be chronicling my domestic endeavors.
Hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great blogging, kash...i can relate...i am learning to knit...its fun and challenging for my patience, focus and relaxation...there is a cool yarn shop in hanalei...the owner told me there is a resurgence in knitting...

i hope you write some more...lynne

Anonymous said...

Love it! Looks good on you, as does errythang!

love you.