Tuesday, November 18, 2008

the cult of domesticity


Charles Dana Gibson, No Time for Politics, 1910


Ulali- Mother
 
A note on the naming of this blog:
i chose the name “cultivating domesticity” as a play on “the cult of domesticity,” an ideology coined in the nineteenth century that said a woman’s place was in the home. also known as “the cult of true womanhood” this ideology laid out the cardinal values all [white middle/upperclass] women must display: piety, purity, submissiveness, and domesticity. the woman’s biological imperative was to create a tranquil domestic sphere for her husband – as women were ill-equipped to do the things men do in the outside world. these ideas pervaded all forms of popular culture at the time, and were buttressed by a lot of pseudo-scientific evidence of female inferiority: we have smaller bodies and smaller brains, more delicate constitutions, and things like menstruation and masturbation make us insane.
i learned all about the cult of domesticity studying at smith college, where generations of (mostly white) women before me had come to buck the system and break out of the domestic sphere, proving their ability to challenge male domination in all aspects of the outside world. which is incredible, and necessary – because we’re obviously not over the belief that women are inferior and incapable of doing certain things men do (physical labor, politics, being decisive, etc), so while i take issue with the white privileged backbone of the feminist movement, i do think the sentiment is necessary and the fight is still relevant.
what i don’t like is the implicit devaluing of domestic work. in a sort of animal farm–ish move, feminism takes on the assumption that traditionally-male work is more valuable and desirable than roles traditionally done by women (and people of color). so i walked away from my feminist education thinking that i ought to get an impressive job and higher degrees to show the world that i can beat men at their own game. and while i do think i can beat men at their own game, i also think that cooking and washing and mending clothes and raising families are some of the most important and critical roles in a society. Unlike some of the best-paid jobs in this country, if someone isn’t making food and babies nobody’s going anywhere.
and i don't think these realms are mutually exclusive, in fact i think the realms are constructed to be separate (and unequal) in order to maintain a system of domination and destructive policy.
so what i’m saying with this blog is that i value those necessary roles as much as i do the flashy positions in male-dominated spheres, and i think it does us good as a movement, as a people, to pay tribute to and cultivate the art of caring for our family, friends and homes, and to bring that energy into our work in our communities and the world.

9 comments:

Katy said...

Kasha, great post!

Titian Librarian said...

What an awesome, smart, well-thought-out post.

WILLIE MAZE said...

Got your back Kasha...

aryn said...

i am glad you posted this. it is a good history lesson and a tight commentary. i share the cognitive dissonance and appreciate your articulation of it. keep beating 'em at their own game, in all spheres...

I Heart Kale said...

Man, I love when I actually get a chance to see concepts from my first-year seminar. Can you do a post on navigating marginal subjectivities too?

Seriously though, I am totally there with you. When people express surprise that I'm a feminist who went to Smith who also likes to do things that require an apron, I will direct them here from now on.

Megs said...

Kasha, I love the new banner at the top of your page, and see how it chimes with this post.

Keep doing what you're doing.

And btw, I saw the lined coat on Sarah WW's Blogs O' Smith page. Lovely. I hope your fabric shop stays above water.

Anonymous said...

You've really put a lot of my thoughts and feelings into words with this post! I've felt the same way about my Smith education: that I value the feminist ideals I was given during that time of my life but I also value the more traditional roles of domestic life for their beauty and nurturing purposes. I will certainly be reading more of your blog! Thanks!

njeanty said...

Dope.
Gosh damn dope.
There's a lot I wanna say, but it'll take up too much space. I wish there were more women like you at the 'feminist' book readings I attempt to go to.

Did you, by any chance, read the article in Bitch that berated Michelle Obama for taking a leave of absence to support her husband's run for president?

Kate Hart said...

Found you via an image search and couldn't believe how similar our blog titles were. Your explanation is much more thorough than mine-- nice work. Adding you to my blog roll!