Wednesday, July 29, 2009

quilting for hire


just before leaving for oklahoma i finished up this gorgeous orange and blue quilt aryn made for adrionna's birthday. aryn pieced the top together - and it's stunning - and then handed it off to me to assemble and quilt.


i have to admit it took me a while to get around to it, and we had to move all the furniture out of the living room in order to spread it out entirely, but once it got pinned together it went very fast. i love the piecing aryn did with the backing - it adds a great dimension to the back and then comes across to the front on the binding, which i really like. i'm definitely steeling that idea for my next quilt.


once i got the quilt sandwich assembled and pinned together, i quilted long, wavy lines from top to bottom throughout the quilt. this was all on aryn's suggestion, and i have to admit i started out skeptical that wavy lines would look good on a horizontal and vertical striped surface, but it turned out looking fantastic. i chose a goldenrod-colored thread that blends nicely into the oranges and stands out a bit on the blue.


i tried aryn's method of binding, which uses the extra backing of the quilt to fold over to the top and machine stitch it all the way around. i usually cut a bias strip of binding and stitch it by hand to the front, so this method was much quicker. i didn't do a perfect job of it, but i think i'm the only one who's sweating my misstakes, so i let them slide.


the quilt looks quite nice put together.


and it was received with great enthusiasm.


2 comments:

The Lovely Ladies of Laurel said...

I will definitely hire you to quilt my tops. I love making the tops and do not like the quilting so....when can I send my first installment :) LOVE YOU and your brilliant craftiness!!

aryn said...

Kasha--you did such a fabulous job on this. I can't wait to hire you to quilt my next project--I am with Lauren, I love the piecing, but the quilting is beyond me. Thanks so much for your amazing work! Sending love...