Monday, January 26, 2009

grapefruitette

an update from the candied citrus peel project. as previously mentioned, i started some candied grapefruit peels while baking the citrus cake, which weren't done in time to contribute to the cake, and after realizing through taste test that the lady from smittenkitchen was absolutely right about them being wickedly bitter, i left them "drying" on my countertop for two days. i took all the advice of boiling them three times in water before boiling in sugar water, and scraping as much of the pith off as i could to reduce bitterness, but those suckers are still face-scrunchingly bitter.


finally this morning i was able to conquer my chocolate hangover enough to proceed with the orangette-ifying of the grapefruit peels and based on my taste-as-you-go method, the dark chocolate was just what they needed to turn delicious. they're drying again now, and i think we have success.

3 comments:

WILLIE MAZE said...

Success! Cut the bitter with chocolate, we're on to something here...

Sele said...

see you in five minutes.

I Heart Kale said...

Oooh Kasha, there is a traditional Syrian sweet that involves candying grapefruit peels. Let me know if you want the recipe--I've never attempted it myself.